Maltby takeaway closes for a week after elderly owners 'targeted by racists'

By Chloe West | 23/08/2019

Maltby takeaway closes for a week after elderly owners 'targeted by racists'
A CCTV image from inside the takeaway before the camera was said to have been smashed

THE owners of a family-run Chinese takeaway have fled their business after allegedly being subjected to attacks, anti-social behaviour and racist abuse.

Simon Lee (42) said his parents no longer felt safe at Wing Lee in Maltby’s High Street after a gang tried to force their way into the shop last Thursday.

Mr Lee claimed his parents, whose names he did not want to reveal, had been targeted by a gang of eight youths for more than six months.

He said: “It is very upsetting and unfair. These people are trying to force my parents out of their business and they’re not ready to retire. 

“My parents are gutted and it’s been going on for some time. 

“They said people have thrown stones, milkshakes and pebbles as well as shouting racial abuse at them.”

Police said they had stepped up patrols in the area and were supporting the family.

The couple opened the takeaway 34 years ago but the future of their business is now uncertain.

“After last week when a group of about eight tried to force their way in, my parents closed the business down and went away to see my two sisters in Manchester,” added Mr Lee.

“We’ve been getting phonecalls from them all the time telling us what’s been happening but by the time I get there from Sheffield, they’ve gone.

“We worry about our parents a lot as the incidents always happen late at nigh. It’s like they’re being targeted.” 

The worried son said his parents — both in their 60s — had told him about other incidents, including his mum being struck with a metal bar, rocks thrown at them and racist abuse.

He said the culprits had also tried to smash shop windows on numerous occasions as well as vandalising CCTV inside the takeaway.

Mr Lee appealed for help on Facebook after last week’s incident and posted CCTV images of the people he believed were responsible. One of the images showed his mother shutting the shop door as an individual hurled an object at the window.

“I am really overwhelmed by the support of the Maltby community on Facebook and I would like to thank them for their support,” he said. 

“It’s frustrating trying to catch those responsible as we hardly have any CCTV footage. But we’d appreciate anyone who has any videos or images to please contact the police.” 

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Police said: “We have now identified some people we’d like to speak to in connection with the incidents and enquiries are continuing.

“The Lee family are being supported by neighbourhood officers and CCTV is being installed at the address.

“There is nothing to suggest this premises is being targeted specifically.” 

Sgt Alan Beever, from Maltby’s neighbourhood policing team, said officers were carrying out additional patrols to reassure the community.

The Advertiser understands that the takeaway reopened on Thursday night.

He encouraged anyone with CCTV or dashcam footage to contact 101 quoting incident 993 of August 10.


The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.


Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/