Make sure there's not a killer in your kitchen . . .

Make sure there's not a killer in your kitchen . . .

By Gareth Dennison | 24/01/2012 0 comments

Make sure there's not a killer in your kitchen . . .

ELECTRICAL faults cause half of all accidental house fires, firefighters have revealed.

Last year there were 400 incidents across South Yorkshire, with 113 coming in the winter months.

Diane Malpass, SYFR’s head of community safety, said: “Electrical equipment is an inescapable part of all our lives, from essentials like heating and lights to luxuries like entertainment systems or beauty products.

“Half of all accidental fires begin with an electrical appliance, so it’s really important to be sure that your electrics are in good working order and are used properly.

“Most electrical fires start in the kitchen, so be extra careful with cooking equipment. Fire in the home can be devastating, but many of these fires are preventable.

“By following some simple steps, you can help keep you and your loved ones safe from fire.”

As part of Electrical Fire Safety Week this week, the fire service and Electrical Safety Council have issued the following tips:

  • Don’t overload plug sockets.
  • Regularly check for worn or frayed wires.
  • Unplug appliances when not in use.
  • Keep appliances clean and in good working order.
  • Keep heaters away from curtains and furniture and do not use to dry clothes.
  • Consider using a Residual Current Device, which works like a circuit breaker to protect against electric shocks and reduces the risk of electrical fires.

Tags


No messages

Please login or register to enter your message click here



Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/