A MAN who threatened to set himself on fire and then apparently changed his mind went up in flames after lighting a cigarette as he waited for the emergency services.
The man was taken to Rotherham General Hospital where he was treated for burns to his torso, hands and arms.
The victim was discovered lying on the floor in the hall of his home in Copley Place, Masbrough.
The carpet and walls were damaged by the flames.
A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “We received a call to say a man had doused himself in lighter fluid and was threatening to set himself on fire.
“We believe that he had changed his mind but then went to light a cigarette and he went up in flames.
“Fortunately, a neighbour was with the man at the time of the incident and was able to put the flames out.
“Luckily, the burns were fairly minor, the fire had been quickly put out and the fire crews that attended were able to limit their involvement to assisting with first aid.”
The incident happened at around 11.30pm on Tuesday. The man involved has not been named.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.