Housing officer prevents tragedy at Wath house

By Admin | 24/05/2016 0 comments

Housing officer prevents tragedy at Wath house

HOUSING officer Melanie Applegate sniffed out and prevented a tragedy during a routine visit to a tenant’s house.

Melanie, who works for Rotherham Borough Council, noticed a strong smell of gas while visiting Ann Cornwall’s house in Wath and immediately called the National Gas Emergency Service.

Ann said: “I was extremely grateful that Melanie detected the gas leak and got me help quickly. I wouldn’t have known what to do otherwise. It could have so easily ended in tragedy.”

Melanie said: “It’s all part of the job. Although I was only there on a routine visit to check our details were up-to-date and that everything was okay with the tenancy, there was no way I would have left without alerting Ann to my concerns.

“It just goes to show the added value of these visits and the benefits of keeping in touch with our customers.”

A council spokesman said every council house in the borough has an up-to-date gas safety certificate.

If you think you can smell gas call the the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111999.


No messages

Please login or register to enter your message click here

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.


Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/