PARENTS were told to keep matches and fire lighters away from children after a fire was started by a toddler.
Firefighters from Rotherham Fire Station were called to a property on Doncaster Road, Thrybergh, after curtains were seton fire in a first floor bedroom.
When the crew arrived they found that the occupants of the house had fled after fire alarms warned them of the blaze at around 11am yesterday.
A fire brigade spokesman said: “The fire had gone out by itself by the time firefighters arrived.
“We understand that the fire was caused by a young child who had set the curtains alight while playing with a lighter.
“It is vital that parents keep matches and lighters away from children to avoid this kind of incident.”