THE death of a five-year-old boy was caused by several factors including multiple-organ failure and septic shock, a coroner concluded today (Monday).
Rawmarsh youngster Shay Turner died on April 3 last year, four days after being admitted to Rotherham Hospital when he felt unwell.
Today, the Doncaster Coroner, Ms Nicola Mundy, returned a narrative conclusion following a five-day inquest, which she described as a “difficult and complex case”.
At the hearing, Shay’s family wore orange ribbons — the Rawmarsh Ryecroft Infant School pupil’s favourite colour — in tribute.
Ms Mundy said it had been a “difficult and complex case”, telling his family she was “sorry they had had to go through the last week”.
Ms Mundy said the cause of Shay’s death was multiple-organ failure, septic shock and hypotoxic ischemic colitis, which compromised Shay’s blood flow to his bowel and caused infection.
Ms Mundy said there had been a number of mistakes made while Shay was being treated at Rotherham Hospital — including being given a ten-fold overdose of insulin and a misdiagnosis of diabetes — but believed they didn’t have an effect on the overall cause of his death.
Returning her conclusion, Ms Mundy said: “Shay Martyn Turner was admitted to Rotherham District General Hospital on March 30, 2018 — he was in shock and had a poorly diffused bowel with developing necrosis
“The fluid regime was cautious due to the erroneous belief that he had diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). These fluids and other supportive measures failed to improve perfusion of his organs and Shay continued to deteriorate.”
She added: “The development of cerebral edema (fluid on the brain) was a dire situation, carrying with it a high risk of mortality. Delays in administering treatment and the cautious fluid management regime are unlikely to have affected the outcome.”