Compensation order for grieving son who lashed out at PC

By David Parker | 12/04/2019

Compensation order for grieving son who lashed out at PC

AN EX-SERVICEMAN who was arrested at a funeral wake and assaulted two emergency workers has been fined and ordered to pay compensation.

Mark Gaughan (33), of Coleridge Road, East Dene, attacked PC Richard Revitt and a detention officer after attending his step-mother’s wake at The Plough, Effingham Street, Rotherham, on March 14.

Police were called to a disturbance at the pub at 11.30pm, Mr David Marshall, prosecuting, told Sheffield Magistrates’ Court last Thursday.

“Officers found the defendant being held back by some of his friends,” Mr Marshall said.

“There had been some incident inside the pub and it seems the defendant had some injuries to his head.

“It looks like he had fallen — he had blood around his nose and hairline.

“He was still acting aggressively, shouting; ‘Don’t hold me back, I can f*****g sort it’.”

Gaughan was arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

He refused treatment at Rotherham Hospital and was taken to Main Street Police Station.

“At the police station he assaulted PC Richard Revitt, striking a blow to his jaw, causing pain but no lasting injuries,” Mr Marshall said.

“He then dropped to his knees in the corridor and spat at a detention officer.

“The spit was mixed with blood and landed on the officer’s trousers.”

In a statement read to the court, PC Revitt said that he had been trying to assist Gaughan and he had had sympathy with him for his loss, but did not expect to be assaulted.

Gaughan admitted to being drunk and disorderly, assault by beating of an emergency worker and common assault of an emergency worker.

Mitigating, Mr Matthew Hague said Gaughan had gone to his step-mother’s funeral earlier that day.

“Her life expectancy was supposed to be greater than it was,” said Mr Hague.
“It came as a bit of a shock.”

Mr Hague said Gaughan had been drinking from the start of funeral until the incident at around 11.30pm.

“He was drowning his sorrows to a point where he had little or no recollection of what happened,” said Mr Hague.

Mr Hague said Gaughan had served in the Army for four years and now worked in the building trade as a dryliner.

“It was a poisonous concoction of alcohol in difficult circumstances which led to his out-of-character behaviour,” said Mr Hague.

Gaughan was fined £300, ordered to pay £50 compensation to each victim, and ordered to pay £85 costs.

Mr Peter Fanshaw, Chair of the Bench, said: “In light of your record, this is a very sorry affair.

“It’s a serious matter, assaulting a police officer and an emergency worker.

“I don’t want to see you again.”

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email
Message us on Facebook