Children’s home not up to standard months after “emergency suspension notice” served

Children’s home not up to standard months after “emergency suspension notice” served

By Adele Forrest | 06/08/2021

Children’s home not up to standard months after “emergency suspension notice” served

 

A CHILDREN’S home shut down after a series of safeguarding concerns and subject to a police investigation is still not up to standard — five months after a damning inspection.

Ofsted inspectors issued an emergency suspension notice on Fullerton House Children’s Home at Denaby Main in March.

The home — privately run by the Hesley Group — has accommodation for 37 youngsters with complex needs, challenging behaviour or autism.

The latest monitoring visit on June 9 found the provider had now complied with the emergency suspension notice and the compliance steps — after two previously failed visits.

But eight recommendations have been made that the home must meet in order to improve by October. 

Improvements needed include in management, child protection, restraint record-keeping, child achievement, and recruitment.

Ofsted lead inspector Louise Hollick said: “A tour of the home confirmed that there are no children living in any of the 16 homes that were previously linked to this registration.

“The provider has an action plan in place to address the shortfalls found in previous visits. 

“This plan is reviewed regularly by leaders, and progress has been made against some of the identified actions.

“The provider has now addressed all outstanding steps in the compliance notices.

“Since the last monitoring visit, the provider has ensured that all supervisors have received supervision training, and refresher training has been provided for other staff who have previously done the training.

“Supervision is taking place regularly for all staff and reflective discussions are taking place about the home’s current situation and the impact this has on individual staff members. This is helping staff to feel supported through a particularly challenging time.”

Ms Hollick added: “The current interim manager is knowledgeable, enthusiastic and realistic about the improvements that need to happen in order to meet the requirements and recommendations, that would allow the provider to reopen.”

In March, inspectors found “significant failings” in the management and staff employment. Serious allegations were also made about staff deliberately harming youngsters.

A second Hesley Group-run residential children’s home in Doncaster, Wilsic Hall, has also had its registration suspended by Ofsted — both homes are subject to a police investigation.

A South Yorkshie Police spokeswoman said: “Work is currently ongoing by officers to review the information available and identify any criminal offences, which may have occurred.”

A spokeswoman for Hesley Group said it was working with Ofsted and police to address the safeguarding allegations at Fullerton House Children’s Home. 

“We have submitted a comprehensive action plan which Ofsted is currently reviewing and monitoring with us,” she added 

“We are also restructuring and strengthening our management and investing further into training for all staff to ensure we provide safe and supportive care.”
Neighbouring Fullerton House School has remained open and is unaffected by the home’s suspension notice.


Fill out my online form.



Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/