A CAMPAIGNING councillor said yet another accident on a notorious stretch of road showed how badly new safety measures were needed.
Cllr Adam Carter said after the collision on Bawtry Road in Brinsworth on Saturday evening that traffic-calming steps agreed by Rotherham Borough Council “can’t come soon enough”.
Police said no-one was hurt in the two-car collision, which left the front end of one car wrecked and two wheels of a Ford Focus badly damaged.
Figures released last year showed a short section of Bawtry Road had been the scene of 29 accidents between January 2012 and December 2016, four of them classed as serious.
Last September, the council confirmed the speed limit would be cut from 40mph to 30mph and narrower running lanes and speed-activated signs would be introduced following discussions with Cllr Carter and his ward colleagues, Cllrs Alan Buckley and Nigel Simpson.
Cllr Carter said: “Changes to improve safety on Bawtry Road can’t come soon enough.
“We had agreement late last year for a new crossing and a speed limit reduction on the road, but it’s gone quiet.
“I’m calling on the council to make these changes as soon as possible.”
Cllr Simpson said: “This is an emergency situation and has been goig on for too long.
“We cannot wait for more people to be injured or, worse, killed.”
Cllr Buckley, who said he had long campaigned for improvements at the scene, said a vehicle activated speed sign had been installed and further measures were due to be place by the end of the current financial year with the caveat that there could be a delay due to the legal process involved.
“I am as concerned as anyone that this stretch of road continues to see drivers ignoring the current signage but along with my two ward colleagues we will continue to monitor the progress of the proposed improvements to ensure that they are implemented as soon as possible,” he said.
The council’s transportation and highways design manager, Ian Ashmore, said a consultation for the reduction of the speed limit was underway, the preliminary design for the rest of the scheme had been completed and “consultations will start on this part of the scheme in the near future”.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.