BREAKING: Three guilty of killing vulnerable Denaby man in street attack

BREAKING: Three guilty of killing vulnerable Denaby man in street attack

By David Parker | 25/03/2021

BREAKING: Three guilty of killing vulnerable Denaby man in street attack


TWO men and a youth have been convicted by a jury of killing vulnerable Denaby man Jerry Appicella.

Shae Nicholson (20, pictured left), of Lincoln Close, Denaby, was convicted today (Thursday) of murdering Mr Appicella (51) in a dark alleyway near the Go Local shop on Hickleton Street, Denaby, in December 2019.

Martell Brown (24, pictured right), of Colliery Road, Conisbrough, and a 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were cleared of murder but convicted of manslaughter for the attack.

The jury deliberated for three hours and 42 minutes before returning their unanimous verdicts this afternoon following a four-and-a-half week trial.

A fourth defendant, Kian Gerrard (19), of Lincoln Close, Denaby, was cleared of murder and manslaughter.

A series of CCTV clips were played to the jury which showed the defendants in and around Go Local from about 2.30pm until about 8pm on December 3, 2019, shortly before the attack.

In one of the clips, Nicholson threw a can at Mr Appicella’s head but he ducked out of the way and it smashed into the display of bottles behind him.

He told Mr Appicella to “come outside”, calling him a “faggot” and telling him he would stab him, prosecutor Mr John Harrison said.

Shortly afterwards, in a nearby alleyway, Nicholson repeatedly punched and kicked Mr Appicella as he was laid on the ground.

The youth, who was then 14, “joined in with the punching” and struck him with a metal pole.

Brown also joined in with the violence as the defendants beat Mr Appicella to death, Mr Harrison said.

Nicholson returned to Go Local later that evening and was caught on CCTV telling t a shop assistant he had stamped on Mr Appicella’s head about 30 times and had “kicked the f*** out of him whilst he was on the floor”.

Nicholson told the shopkeeper: "He got his f***ing head kicked in, the f***ing faggot.'"

Mr Appicella's body was found in his flat 12 days after the attack.

All of the defendants had accepted they were present but had denied causing the serious injuries that Mr Appicella suffered.

Nicholson had admitted manslaughter but denied murder, while the other defendants all denied murder.

Nicholson, Brown and the youth were remanded into custody and are due to be sentenced in the week commencing May 3.

Fill out my online form.

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email
Message us on Facebook