INVESTIGATORS from the National Crime Agency have made their first arrest this morning of a man connected to historic child sex abuse in Rotherham.
The man was arrested in the town on suspicion of rape, two offences of supplying class A and B substances and physical assault, all believed to have taken place against a girl aged under 16.
The arrest was made by National Crime Agency officers from Operation Stovewood who are investigating non-familial child sexual exploitation and abuse in Rotherham between 1997-2013.
An NCA spokesman said: “The man has been taken to a police station in South Yorkshire where he will be interviewed.
“No further information about the person arrested is being provided.
“Operation Stovewood is ongoing.”
The NCA issued a 12-month operational update on Monday and said 29 “designated suspects and hundreds more potential suspects” had been identified
Operation Stovewoood covers the geography and time period of the Jay Report, which found that up to 1.400 were subjected to sexual abuse.
Hundreds of suspects identified in child sex abuse investigation
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.