BREAKING: Disgraced former Rotherham peer Nazir Ahmed guilty of sexually abusing two children

BREAKING: Disgraced former Rotherham peer Nazir Ahmed guilty of sexually abusing two children

By David Parker | 05/01/2022

BREAKING: Disgraced former Rotherham peer Nazir Ahmed guilty of sexually abusing two children

 

A FORMER peer has been found guilty of sexually abusing a boy and a girl almost 50 years ago.

Nazir Ahmed (64, pictured), a former Rotherham member of the House of Lords, sexually assaulted a boy between 1971 and 1972 and attempted to rape a girl between 1973 and 1974.

A jury at Sheffield Crown Court returned their verdicts today after a four-week trial and three days of deliberations.

The former Rotherham councillor was found guilty of buggery and two counts of attempted rape. No verdict was returned on a fourth count of indecent assault because it was an alternative to the buggery count.

It was the second time Ahmed, of East Bawtry Road, had been put on trial, after a case was halted last February by the judge due to the prosecution’s failure to disclose all of the evidence to the defence.

Prosecutors won a High Court appeal against the judge's decision to halt the case permanently and Ahmed was put on trial again in November.

Mr Tom Little, prosecuting, had told the jury that Ahmed had attempted to rape the girl twice when he was 16 or 17 and she was much younger.

Ahmed and his brothers, Mohammed Farouq (71) and Mohammed Tariq (65), had repeatedly sexually abused the boy, he said.

Farouq was found by the jury to have committed four acts of indecent assault against the boy, while Tariq committed two acts of the same offence.

Mohammed Farouq

Farouq and Tariq were found unfit to stand trial and the jury were asked to decide whether they had committed the acts they had been charged with.

Mr Little told the jury the victims had been “too young to stop it and too young to do anything about it.”

“Those that it happened to kept it buried away for many years as, we say, is so often the case,” he said.

“However, it is no longer buried away, no longer kept quiet.

“They have now complained, not just to those who they know or love or trust, but, far more recently, to the police.”

Mohammed Tariq

Mr Little said the brothers, who were in their late teens and early 20s at the time of the offending, had carried out the sexual abuse in two properties in Rotherham.

He said the defendants had hoped the criminal acts would never see the light of day, but now they had, and one of them had apologised to one of the complainants many years later for what he had done.

Mr Little said the brothers had stopped abusing the boy when the complainant had left the UK in 1972.

Tariq, of Gerard Road, Rotherham, had faced two counts of indecent assault between 1970 and 1972 and Farouq, of Worrygoose Lane, Rotherham, had faced four counts of indecent assault between 1968 and 1972.

The defendants will be sentenced on February 4.



Newsletter

Sign up to our weekly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/