WITH temperatures continuing to rise, firefighters have issued safety advice to those planning a barbecue.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said al-fresco cooking carries a potential fire risk if barbecues are used incorrectly.
The fire service has issued a number of handy hints to try and keep mishaps at bay and to ensure that get-togethers stay fun.
Trevor Bernard, head of community safety, said: “All we are saying is before you get started with the sausages and kebabs, take a minute to decide where you’re going to site it. Then, when the coals are properly cooled, dispose of them safely.”
Recent deaths on campsites involving barbecues have also prompted safety campaigners to remind campers of the fatal consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Barbecues continue to give off the deadly gas even after the coals are cool so campers should never use barbecues inside tents, or to stay warm indoors.
A fire service spokesman issued the following tips:
- Site the barbecue on a flat surface well away from trees, shrubs and grassland;
- Keep a bucket of water or sand close by, just in case the flames get out of control;
- Never use petrol or paraffin on a barbecue, only recognised lighters and starter fuels;
- Make sure the coals have properly cooled before disposal and empty ashes onto bare soil, not into the bin.
We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.