Arson victims trapped in flat by blaze

By Tom Sharpe | 04/05/2010 0 comments

Arson victims trapped in flat by blaze

A COUPLE had to be rescued from the balcony of their second storey flat after an arson attack left them trapped in their home.

Firefighters from Rotherham Fire Station used  ladders to to reach the pair who dialled 999 after fire broke out in the stairwell of the flats complex on Brunswick Road, Broom, leaving them with no way of getting out.

The 38-year-old man and 40-year-old woman were freed moments after firefighters arrived on the scene at around 3.15pm on Monday

A plastic chair, which was ablaze in the stairwell and had caused smoke-logging throughout parts of the building, was extinguished.

A fire service spokesman said: “It appears as if the chair was deliberately lit, leaving people in the flats with no way out.

“The police also attended the incident and are now carrying out their investigations.”
Nobody was injured as a result of the fire.


No messages

Please login or register to enter your message click here

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.

Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email
Message us on Facebook