Alternative activities plan as Rotherham Show officially cancelled

Alternative activities plan as Rotherham Show officially cancelled

By Gareth Dennison | 23/07/2020

Alternative activities plan as Rotherham Show officially cancelled

 

MEMORIALS for coronavirus victims will form part of an alternative activities package replacing this year’s Rotherham Show.

The annual Clifton Park event, which attracts between 60,000 and 80,000 visitors, was formally cancelled by cabinet members on Monday.

Rotherham Council says the alternative activities will include projects taking place across the borough as well as online events.

Cllr Sarah Allen, cabinet member for cleaner, greener communities, said: “As people probably know, it’s only six weeks to what would have been the date for this year’s Rotherham Show.

“However we are in the position, as are all festivals of this size, of not being able to hold the show, primarily because it’s a gathering of way more than 30 people and as such would contravene current government regulations.

“Things could change in those six weeks but even if that happened, we would have the issues of audience nervousness and sheer lack of time for proper preparation.”

The show cost £191,000 last year, and created an income of £172,500. The difference was covered by the council’s culture, sport and tourism budget.

“We are fully cognisant of the role and importance of the show,” said Cllr Allen. “We have got plans for activities that could replicate the show in a safely managed manner. These activities will be inclusive right across the borough.

“The production board for Rotherham Show will put together a range of activities around creating memorials to try and help people make sense of the situation that we are all living through, also about supporting and celebrating the work of volunteers and staff and key workers across the borough. It will also be about revitalising morale and pride in Rotherham.

“It will be something that everyone can get engaged in and it will be something that has something for everyone.”

Further details have not been made public but the move to cancel this year has been welcomed by most partners, RMBC said.

Cllr Emma Hoddinott, cabinet member for community safety, said: “It’s absolutely the right decision to make and I’m actually looking forward to the alternative programme and what can be achieved.

“I’m pleased to see reflection on the difficulties people have had during Covid-19, in particular the loss that some families have felt.

“While I’m sure there will be things we can enjoy, that opportunity to reflect will be welcome.”

The regular show will be back next year, Rotherham Council has said.


 




Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 803562
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/