Turkey chicks die in barn blaze

AROUND 70 newborn turkeys died in a barn fire on Hardwick Lane, Aston this morning. The one-day-old birds were killed when a heat lamp caught alight, fire investigators believe.

AROUND 70 newborn turkeys died in a barn fire on Hardwick Lane, Aston this morning.

The one-day-old birds were killed when a heat lamp caught alight, fire investigators believe.

Firefighters from Aston, Burley and Maltby stations attended at around 2.50am.

The barn’s first floor was badly damaged. Crews came away at about 4am. The fire has been logged as accidental.

Crews also tackled in Thurcroft and Elsecar last night.

Maltby and Aston stations attended a large grass fire on Kingsforth Road, Thurcroft.

They arrived 7.05pm and used hose reels to put out the blaze, leaving at around 10.30pm.

The fire is thought to have been started deliberately.

Firefighters from Cankersley also attended a shed fire on Strafford Avenue, Elsecar at around 10.15pm. They left the scene at around 11.15pm.

Related topics: