Pull the plug on beauty devices to avoid house fires

THESE are the devastating results of leaving beauty appliances, which can reach temperatures hotter than a deep fat fryer, switched on in the home.

An estimated 650,000 house fires in the UK have been caused by a straightener or similar device being left on, according to the latest research from Electrical Safety First.

To highlight the issue the organisation has launched a new campaign called Pull the Plug to remind grooming devotees to switch off their beauty appliances which is being backed by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The ESF said its research showed one in 12 women admitted to having left their hair straighteners switched on at least once, and almost half of women have panicked about leaving an electrical beauty device switched on when they are out and about.

Emma Apter, from Electrical Safety First said: “Our research shows that one in 12 women have left a beauty appliance switched on at some point or other, which is extremely worrying. 

“Straighteners can reach temperatures of over 235 degrees and can take up to 40 minutes to cool down. 

“Considering that they reach temperatures hotter than a deep fat fryer, there’s a very high risk of damage or fire if left near flammable materials.

“We’d like to encourage everyone to pull the plug on accidents caused by hair dryers, straighteners and curling irons. 

“Switch devices off when you’ve finished using them, unplug them and leave them to cool on a mat or heat proof surface.”

Electrical Safety First research has found that people aged between 18 and 24 are particularly at risk. 

One in three people in this age group has been burnt by an electrical beauty appliance. The research also shows that over 200,000 people in this age group have experienced a house fire caused by an electrical beauty appliance.

For more information visit www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/pulltheplug or search the hashtag #PullThePlug.