Man cheats death as kitchen blazes

A ROTHERHAM man is lucky to be alive after falling asleep on his sofa with food left cooking in his kitchen.

The 33-year-old wasn't even woken by his smoke alarm at the house on Shearman Avenue, Kimberworth.

Fortunately a neighbour heard the noise and dialled 999.

Fire crews from Mansfield Road and Darnall were forced to break in and rescue the man after he didn't respond to their calls from outside.

He suffered smoke inhalation but didn't attend hospital.

A fire service spokesman said: “The house was quickly filling with smoke because of food burning in the oven.

“The man is lucky that his neighbour raised the alarm, otherwise he may not have woken.

“Once again this shows the risks of starting to cook after coming in from a night out.

“It may seem like a good idea at the time but can prove fatal.”

 

Related topics: