Crews tackle smoke-filled Rawmarsh home

A HOME was smoke-damaged when an occupant lit their cigarette on the cooker then went out, leaving the appliance on.

The flame ignited a pan of grease, filling the Rawmarsh kitchen with acrid black fumes.

Firefighters from Rotherham station attended the incident on Beech Avenue at around 7.30am today. They ventilated the house and left around 15 minutes later.

A fire service spokesman said: “You’d be amazed how many homes we go to where minimum standards of cleanliness aren’t maintained, putting residents at risk of a fire that could severely damage their property.

“Even a small amount of thick, black smoke can ruin walls and furnishings and put lives at risk, so please don’t put off cleaning out your ovens and grill pans chore any longer.”

The spokesman recommended cleaning ovens and grills regularly to avoid a build up of flammable fat.

He also advised ditching old chip pans, switching off equipment after use and not cooking after a night out drinking.

 

Related topics: