ROTHERHAM Hospital is still operating visitor restrictions in the wake of an outbreak of the diarrhoea and vomiting bug rotavirus.
The hospital put measures in place on Friday over concerns about the illness.
Some of the restrictions have been eased but many still remain in place.
A hospital spokeswoman said an investigation was underway to identify the cause of the outbreak but would not reveal how many cases had been diagnosed.
The hospital said in a statement that the illness was “currently limited to a small number of areas”.
Non-essential visiting on wards A1 and A5, which was barred, is now allowed again.
Visiting in these wards, plus, A4,B4, B5 and the Stroke Unit, is limited to adults only and a maximum of two visitors per patient.
Children should not be brought on to these areas, the spokeswoman said, adding: “If you are considering visiting someone in hospital and have either had symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has had symptoms recently, please ensure you have been clear for at least 48 hours before visiting.”
Regular hand washing using soap and running water is advised to beat the bug.
A spokeswoman added: “If you are visiting, please ensure that you use the hand gel provided to help us minimise the spread of germs.
“This is a short term measure and we thank you all for your cooperation.”