NO operations have been cancelled at Rotherham Hospital tomorrow (Wednesday) as junior doctors walk out on strike.
The British Medical Association (BMA) held its first strike last month which included all junior doctors, except those on call to provide emergency cover.
It was due to hold a full walkout tomorrow (February 10) but following talks with the government, junior doctors providing emergency cover will not be part of the action.
Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, said one clinic, involving 21 patients, has been cancelled but added there was no plan to cancel operations.
A spokesman said patients should attend medical appointments as planned unless they have been informed otherwise.
Conrad Wareham, medical director at Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust, said: “Our medical and clinical staff are supporting detailed planning across our trust to assess the likely impact of the junior doctors' industrial action on patients. Safety remains our priority.
“We advise patients to turn up for scheduled appointments unless they have been contacted by us directly to rearrange their appointment.”
A statement on the BMA website said: “Despite the best efforts of our negotiating team, and hours of talks facilitated by Acas, we have not managed to reach agreement with NHS Employers and the Department of Health on the new junior doctors contract.
“As a result, the industrial action we planned for February 10 will be going ahead. However, rather than the planned full walkout, the action will mirror that of January 12.
“Junior doctors in England will be offering emergency care only for 24 hours from 8am on Wednesday, February 10 until Thursday, February 11, at 8am.”