Mirrors warning from fire brigade

By Antony Clay | 14/02/2018

Mirrors warning from fire brigade

MIRRORS can cause fires, householders are being warned.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue (SYFR) said the blazes can be caused by mirrors concentrating the sun’s rays and igniting nearby objects like curtains.

Fire chiefs are worried that many people leave mirrors on windowsills in direct sunlight and two fires were started in Sheffield recently because of mirrors.

Concave mirrors and crystal or glass objects should be kept away from sunny window sills and flammable materials, said a SYFR spokesman.

People are also urged to fit a smoke alarm on every floor and test them every week to make sure they work.


The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.


Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/