Heater sparks "very serious house fire"

By Dave Doyle | 09/01/2017 0 comments

Heater sparks 'very serious house fire'

A PORTABLE heater placed too close to soft furnishings caused a fire which left a man in hospital.

Firefighters from Doncaster, Thorne and Edlington stations attended the incident on Sunderland Place shortly before midnight on Sunday.

They used hose reels to tackle the blaze, which caused severe damage to the ground floor of the property.

A man in his 70s was given oxygen and taken to hospital by ambulance, suffering from smoke inhalation.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue group manager Simon Dunker, who attended the incident, said: “This was a very serious house fire.

“The house was engulfed in fire when our crews arrived and they did a fantastic job to prevent the blaze from spreading to neighbouring properties.”

He added: “Fortunately, working smoke alarms raised the alarm and the man managed to escape.

“It’s yet another reminder of the importance of having working smoke alarms and testing them regularly.”


No messages

Please login or register to enter your message click here

The fact you are here means you are interested in what goes on in your town.

We want to continue holding local authorities to account, attending court and council meetings, as well as providing breaking news, competitions and offers – but it costs money. Online advertising does not cover costs, therefore we feel the need to ask for your help in ensuring we can provide the best possible coverage, online and in our printed products.
For as little as £1, you can support the Rotherham Advertiser – and it only takes a minute.
Click here to support local news.


Spotted something we should know about?

Call our Newsdesk on 01709 768146
Or email newsdesk@rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk
Message us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheRotherhamAdvertiser/