ROTHERHAM Borough Council boss Martin Kimber refused to fully back under-fire children’s services director Joyce Thacker in the wake of a scathing Government report into child sexual exploitation (CSE).
However, he instead defended her for telling the Home Affairs Select Committee that prosecutions were just the “icing on the cake” in tackling the vile crime.
Mr Kimber declined to comment on whether her job at Rotherham Borough Council was safe, saying the Advertiser’s question was unfair.
He simply said: “Joyce Thacker is fully committed to protecting children.”
The damning report by MPs — published on Monday after a year-long inquiry — said the council had been more concerned with saving face than ensuring an effective response.
It labelled the authority “inexcusably slow” to recognise the problem; accused police commissioner Shaun Wright — who quit the council in March — of showing a reluctance to engage with victims; called for further Ofsted inspections and expressed doubt as to whether training and meetings were actually taking place because of Rotherham’s continued dismal record in prosecuting cases.
See the full story in the Rotherham Advertiser
Plus: The reaction of the council, police and politicians
Why tackling the misery of exploitation is still a top priority
The views of Rotherham MP Sarah Champion
Are prosecutions a postcode lottery?
The 86 children who have received help this year
Savile cop joins local children safeguarding board…and much more in this week’s Rotherham Advertiser