The colder weather can lead to damp and mould forming in your home, which can make you more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. Damp and mould can also affect the immune system. Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause an allergic reaction), irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks.
Some people are more sensitive than others, including:
- babies and children
- elderly people
- those with existing skin problems, such as eczema
- those with respiratory problems, such as allergies and asthma
- those with a weakened immune system
These people should stay away from damp and mould